Sunday, October 10, 2010

Random Thoughts

In a broadcast television station, we are required to keep logs of everything that airs throughout the day. Every show, every newscast, every glitch, and - especially for billing - every commercial. These logs are legal documents subject to FCC inspection and corporate audit. They must be accurate in every detail... including the titles of the programs aired. Spelling counts. Therefore, the official, proper, legal title of this particular show is actually spelled as printed here, "$#*! My Dad Says."

Not "#&^% My Dad Says,"
Not "S___ My Dad Says,"
And not "Beep My Dad Says," as it comes down on the CBS affiliate timing sheets.

The legal title of the show is "$#*! My Dad Says." That's the title that must be printed on every single program log of every single CBS affiliate across the country.


During last Thursday's broadcast of "Private Practice" on ABC we were still seeing credits for co-executive producers at 16 minutes into the show. I don't know how many co-executive producers were credited, but I stopped counting after four. At 17:30 into the show ABC triggered the affiliate transparent logo because the program finally stopped putting up credits. The show started at 10:01 Eastern, which means we had credits from the content up to 10:18:30 on the clock. What I want to know is what exactly is a co-executive producer? How do I get that job? If I fetch Courtney Cox's Aquafina do I get a co-executive producer credit 19 minutes into "Cougartown?"


And now it's time for a visit from the man who loves to ruin action TV shows, Mr. Physics. The special effects in "The Incredibles"... sorry... I mean "No Ordinary Family," are quite good. But watching the wife run at Mach 2 would be far more believable if she wasn't doing it in heels. Those shoes would be melted down to nothing in about two miles. When she blew past the Arizona state line sign I kept expecting the coyote to light the dynamite.


Public service announcements (PSA's) tend to get loaded into the computer automation and are forgotten. They only pop up in the rotation at unfriendly hours when the station needs a time killer, so nobody in a responsible position notices the cobwebs growing on them. Some cable networks and local stations are still airing a public service announcement that's meant to inspire us to volunteer to help feed the hungry. It features President Obama speaking to an audience telling us that Elkhart, Indiana has been hard hit by layoffs and economic downturn. Yeah, it was... back in 2008. What's next, the Indian crying by the side of the road?


Sportscaster quote of the week: My wife caught Herbstreet on ESPN emitting this nugget of genus.

"I think Auburn can win this game, but they'll have to outscore Kentucky."


I wonder how much ESPN pays Herbstreet for that kind of in-depth analytical expertise?


And we end with a Lima sighting in "Glee." People have been sending local stuff to the show, and finally, after all these years, the impossible happened: a local Lima radio station got love on TV. Check this enhanced photo. (You'll have to click on it to really see it. Many thanks to the Gleek who made it.)

No comments: